...in which our heroine lands herself in
a very indelicate position.
“This is entirely beneath me,” Charlotte muttered under her breath as she lowered herself to her knees. One should never be on all fours if one was angry. It felt wrong to be in the position of a supplicant when what she really wanted to do was blow through that door and smash a plate over the head of one insufferable Lord Durham.
“Where is the blasted man?” she muttered again as she strained her eye to catch a glimpse of the scene inside. A short burst of laughter, deep and masculine, came from stage right, out of peeping range. Ah. They were in front of the fire, then. She gritted her teeth. This made the third consecutive week that her brother had returned home from his Wednesday meeting with that scoundrel.
“We’ll just retire for a game of backgammon and to have a tot,” Lord Durham had said in a deceptively bland tone tonight as he had shut her library doors—hers!—in her face. “Manly things, you understand.” She rolled her eyes. Yes, so very manly. As if anyone could envision the infamous Lord Durham having a "tot" of spirits. Tots were for elderly aunties. That odious man was sure to swig straight from the bottle.
“We’ll just retire for a game of backgammon and to have a tot,” Lord Durham had said in a deceptively bland tone tonight as he had shut her library doors—hers!—in her face. “Manly things, you understand.” She rolled her eyes. Yes, so very manly. As if anyone could envision the infamous Lord Durham having a "tot" of spirits. Tots were for elderly aunties. That odious man was sure to swig straight from the bottle.
[Charlotte's Mayfair townhouse]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
There it is, blogsters!
A wee preview of The Book.
Thoughts?
Critiques, if you please!


14 comments:
i'd like to have a tot and read more please!!!!
I'm intrigued and properly outraged for Charlotte, I'm ready for more!
More, more! Me likey! (Don't you love my intellectual literary prowess?)
First off, I am so proud of you my friend!! I love the
Era romance novels..I can't wait to read more of
Charlotte and Mr. Durham. This could be my
new Pride and Prejudice!!! I likey!!
I am so excited to read more.......
When do Rody and Rave make their entrance?
So proud of my intellectual friend!
more than this is needed for a proper critique! i am also intrigued! i don't like the stage right thing.
First, very very jealous that you have written so much in your book - when I sit hear many a night looking at my computer screen and wonder whey I will ever actually finish a thought - other than, what my boys are going to wear the next day...Second, you sweet awesome chic! I am so excited -any publishers in line? I can already feel the tension between charlotte and durham - perhaps there will be another man to make durham jealous?
Good luck Cystal - send writing vibes my way!
You go girl!!! I love ya!
Oh man, your favorite P&P cousin would REALLY like a little more of a sneak peak... like the whole book.... :) :) I like it!
This is really good and makes me want for more!
I am so impressed you are writing this! Way to go!!
i am ready for the next installment! can't you write us a short story to keep us busy in the meantime??
Definitely intriguing! The "stage right" comment made me stutter in my thought process - I had to think, wait, is this ON a stage, am I reading a play, or is the author giving us staging cues for how she wants to see this 'performed' someday. And the sentence: "This made the third consecutive week that her brother had returned home from his Wednesday meeting with that scoundrel." Made me wonder if there is an adjective missing - HOW did he return home? As in 'returned home late' or are you referring to a state of mind, like 'in a huff' or 'in a daze'. Maybe the next part will shed more light into why 'three consecutive weeks' or 'with that scoundrel' is important...
Can't wait to read more!!!
I am SO impressed that you're really doing this!
I have to agree with the "stage right" thing, it made me stop and question for a second if this were a novel or a play.
Post a Comment