Today, though, I am going to show how to cut an onion. Except I'm using a shallot, because that's what my recipe tonight called for.
First, peel off the papery stuff from the outside of the onion. Then cut the onion in half down the middle, leaving the root end intact.
(Don't cut any farther toward the root than this.)
But see here--you've got to hold the onion with the heel of your hand, with your fingers up.
You must follow my safety advice. I once grated my thumb knuckle off. Do as I say, not as I do.
Next, slice it like this. Do not go all the way to the end of the onion, so it is still held together at the root of the onion. (shallot!)
Turn it, then slice crossways. There! Diced onion! (shallot)
Please, no comments about the man-hands in the above picture.
I have a butcher knife & I'm not afraid to use it.
Or, I will just grate your thumb knuckle off.
Hopefully this picture better shows how far to slice. With every cut you make, go almost--but not quite--to the root.
And wa-la! Diced onion. (shallot)
Every time I write that, I remember that old 1980's commercial
with the 2 arguing tubs of butter & margarine.
Butter. (Margarine!) Butter. (Margarine!)
Now on to better things. Last week I showed "How To Kiss." This week I decided to do a second installment for those of you who wish for a more advanced lesson. When I asked Mike if he'd like to help me demonstrate, this is what he said:
So again I will feature Lucy & George from "Room With a View." Which is for the best.
Ready? Hold on to your onion (shallot).
Step one.
Step two.
!!!
Oh, it's like butter.
And for those of you who wonder why I keep relating food with kissing, I have no idea how to respond to that.
Except do as I say, not as I do.
(butter!)


11 comments:
I love How-to-Tuesday! Guess what, I have never poached an egg. Never. And I cut an onion almost every.single.night. for dinner (Jimmy is addicted) and I don't do it this way. I'm going to now though.
I'm sorry about your computer. I can relate too easily with the rage. It is pretty much my most humiliating quality.
Um, you will never be fired from How-To Tuesday due to the appropriate amount of gratuitous kissing. Fear not. You are good.
Laughed so hard at this. And now I can't stop saying butter! margarine! in my head. What a treat that will be for the family when I start saying it out loud.
P.S. Your husband and mine could be BFFs. Mine says that to me a lot, too.
Awesome. Completely and totally awesome. The onion (shallot) chopping tutorial and the kissing.
You are funny. I love your humor.
i am sure mike WANTED to do the kissing how-to - but who would film it?? max? - i don't think so. christine? - she gifted you with her Giant Yellow Diet Coke Cup but to film the kissing scene would be Too Much to ask. best to let third parties do the work. *Ü*
Yay Mike!
I love these. Especially the kissing.
I love How-To-Tuesday, however, I must express my disappointment in a man named Mike. Mike- I want to see YOU demonstrate on your gorgeous wife the perfect kiss. Or, if you want, Rody and Rave can be photographed! :)
How is it I've never seen this movie? You've inspired me to put it on my must see list! I also think I might just go out and buy a shallot so I can try chopping. Can't wait for the next Tuesday how-to.
I remember those talking tub commercials.
I have never bought or cut a shallot.
I cut my onions like that but I don't cook often with shallots. They intimidate me for some reason.
Now that I am on day 12 of no hubby, I miss kissing him. He has rather fantastic lips.
Kissing and Onion cutting will NEVER be the same! YAY, How-To Tuesday!!
Post a Comment