We practiced how to look up scriptures for Family Night tonight. Isabelle received her baptism scriptures early--due to MUCH badgering of poor Grandma Hanson, who couldn't stand it any longer, broke down & took her to pick them out 9 months early. So we sat on the couch and Mike showed the kids how to find a particular scripture.
I was surprised to hear how well Max & Isabelle can read those difficult words! Max can whip through the verses. Isabelle muddles through, but does better than I thought she could. Am I actually at the stage in life where you read the real scriptures with your kids, and not just the Scripture Stories? That feels a bit surreal. I have big kids! Weird.Incidentally, Mimi was the winner of all scripture chases. She'd flip open her scriptures and yell/announce, "Found it!" No matter that the scripture was Alma 32:14 and she was in Helaman.
It was a simple little Family Night and I felt the peace of the Spirit in our cozy room with my little family. Lima Bean even made himself known by kickboxing me from the inside out the entire time. We said a prayer and kissed them goodnight.
Then, a half hour later, I ruined it all by yelling, "Will you just go to BE-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-D!!!!" Actually, "yelling" is a rather mild turn of phrase; it was more like screeching. Yeah, way to go, Mom...that's the way to cap off a cute Family Night.
But in my puny defense: I began Family Home Evening way later than I should have--basically at bedtime, 8pm--it was 8:30 when we finished, and it took them 25 minutes to brush their teeth and get their patooties to bed. Twenty five minutes!!! After years of living with me and witnessing The Transformation Into WitchMom occur promptly at 8:30, you'd think my kids would be afraid of me at Witching Hour. But no. Instead they artlessly ask for more kisses, and even a snuggle.
The nerve.
It's time for A Cold One.
Monday, March 17, 2008
FHE
Posted by
crystal
at
10:00 PM
Labels: FHE, Lima, why I am in dire need of a happy pill
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 comments:
You deserve a nice cold drink for braving the FHE!
We dyed Easter Eggs, with the TWO kids who weren't off enjoying the first night of spring break with friends (or sleeping).
very cute FHE idea . i like a quickie.
and a cold one sounds nice about now.
we had only 3 kids home, and had "the best night ever!"
we went to happy hour for cheap mexican food at our fave place, the dollar store and bought assorted crap, and then we got ice cream, AND a trip to the pharmacy and more treats. and THEN to top it off they fell asleep on my bed watching kid shows on cable. the best day ever! they said so! gosh 3 less kids is easy peasy. of course i gotta love spring break too.
on any other night i'm a witch too. and usually long before 8:30 . they ask me if i can't leave so they can hang out with dad, and have him be in charge, he doesn't yell as much. it makes me feel RAD while i escape for alone mommy time! ☺
I was so happy that my Cooper fell asleep on the couch last night. That makes my bed time so easy. Just pick them up and throw them, gently, in the bed.
you are adorable.
you have the 25 minutes to brush teeth, we get the 25 minute sock project here. getting ready for school, some days i can't imagine how they get so far off track and I am the professionally distracted type myself -- but i still don't get it. But i do know, if it takes 25 to get the socks on, it's going to take 25 to get the homework in the back pack too and there will be 463 "I know!"'s spoken before we get out the front door.
Three of my kids were in tears at one point in FHE...not due to feeling the spirit I might add.
Also one got a black eye playing "freeze tag" too near the coffee table.
Family night is a dangerous endeavor. Glad you got something for your efforts!
When you said 'time for a cold one' I thought for sure it would be the Diet Coke. But that would be referred to as a 'hard one'. When you hit the stage of needing the DC, then we know you are at your wits end!
Yeah, I know all about WitchMom appearing. She comes out here, too. The children MUST not be up one minute past my cutoff time, or I turn manic.
Oh, I hear ya! WitchMom came out last night here, too.
Nice use of the word patooties! :)
You sound like you need more Nacho Therapy. =)
FHE- "the only fight that starts and ends with prayer!!" Don't worry- ours started like that and we finally got it together by the end!
What a fun idea...scripture chase. I realized we needed to read from the "real" scriptures this year too and it has been fun to hear them read so well. We also enjoy hearing our 3 year old repeat the verses after us.
I am with you about bed time. Alone time is very important!!
I hope that Fresca hit the spot and sent Witchymom on a leave of absence! I can turn on a dime too, maybe it's the girl in me.
Still, sounds like a sweet FHE. Dillydallying makes me CRAZY too.
♥ It take us forever it seems to get the kid all prepped and ready for bed too! I'm always ready for an escape too when it's finally over! :)
We read the scripture stories last year with our kids and it was awesome.
My oldest is getting baptized in September and we had hoped to read the REAL thing with her this year before the big day. We're a bit late in starting!
I turn into a witch at 8:15 promptly.
How can they be dying of thirst at 8:10 right after night drinks? And needing to tell me one more thing? And could I get them a hot water bottle? And? And?
mmmmm.....fresca.
Love the scripture chase idea! Great picture of the chase in action. Love your cold one picture too! Breathe just breathe {and maybe run away!} I HATE bedtime -- the necessary evil of the evening.
My kids can both read "real" scriptures now too and it's rather surreal for me.
I get super grumpy around the kids' bedtime so I would have wigged out too. We should know better than to push our time limits like that, but good for you for having FHE!
25 min your kids are fast! In not so long we are going to be in the same spot on the scripture thing. We have to read both the "real" scriptures for Kenna & Erika and the story book for the little ones!
Call me for the nacho therapy!
Cute FHE idea! Thanks maybe we will do that tonight. About the whole bedtime thing....I HATE IT!!! I tell the kids after 8pm is my time and I don't have to be nice so they better be in bed BEFOR that!!! BTW you don't look like you have puffy cheeks in that cute picture!!!
Post a Comment