Monday
* My mom was here visiting & we went to school lunch with Isabelle. It's fun to see how much this means to her--especially with Grannie as her lunch guest!
* I spent that evening running around getting supplies for Wednesday's combined Young Women activity, which I was in charge of. I'm 1st counselor and I'm not in the groove of YW yet. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.
Tuesday
* Mimi had dance and then my mom & I zipped off for a brow appointment at Nordstrom. Mimi & I admired the shoes, looked at lipstick (she insisted on applying a bright orange) and rode the escalator a few times while my mom was the recipient of brow magic.
* Yet more running around for Wednesday's activity.
* Max had scouts & I skipped book club and took a sleeping pill. I'm in the midst of a rough year & sometimes a girl can fight only so hard to stave off depression! Thank goodness that Unisom is pregnant-safe.
Wednesday
* Watched my friend's girls during the afternoon & got stuff organized for the big activity. Made a mental note to keep activities simple with the Young Women. But is that even possible???
* My mom went and fetched Cafe Rio salads (yum--thanks, mom!) and made copies for me (bookmarks for the activity).
* The activity went very well; the girls all seem very sweet and on the right track. No major issues to worry about that I can see--it will be a pleasure to be in the program with them. We did a "PJ'S Night"...Snacks that start with "P", Journal, Scriptures. We decorated journals and marked scriptures that correspond with the YW values. It seems simple, but I went overboard with the details. I tend to do that because I like to throw parties, but I need to remember that parties can be fun without all the froo-froo.
Thursday
Friday
* Mike, Max, Isabelle, Mimi & I went to "Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," directed (and basically produced with magic and enchantment) by my BFF Kara, jr-high-teacher-extraordinaire. The kids LOVED it! So did I. Mike said on the way home that he never remembers that level of production in junior high. It was like Mini-Broadway. Kara is amazing.
* Afterward, Kara's daughter--part of the cast--took Mimi on the stage to see the cast up close and she came back with stars in her eyes. Mimi was so funny during the play; she was riveted! She was shaking her shoulders to the beat, asking, "can I do this when I'm bigger?" (be in a musical) During the finale she asked Mike several times, "Can I go up there?" (Meaning onstage to dance during the big finale) She wanted so badly to run up onstage and be part of the huge finale number!
* I've had the "Go, Go, Go Joe!" song in my head, non-stop, for 24 hours straight.
"Go, go, go Joseph you know what they say
Hang on now Joseph you'll make it some day
Don't give up Joseph fight till you drop
We've read the book and you come out on top."
Saturday
* Mike & Max went shooting. I prayed hard for Heavenly Father to assist the man-supervision.
* I took the girls to see my niece's "big girl" (Mimi's term) dance competition. These Jr High girls can shake it! Mimi soaked up every minute of the dances. She turned to me at one point and said, "Mom! Did you see that move?!" and mimicked it. Hilarious! She's a showgirl.
* Left at 5pm to go to dinner with my Visiting Teachers and the other girl they visit. (I wonder why I still refer to myself and my contemporaries as "girls?" We're well into our 30's!) It was a good time. I really, really love this ward.
So! These are the highlights of the week, to the best of my memory. I really should make an effort to journal my day as it actually happens so, as my mom puts it, "I can prove that I was alive."
Including my nighttime forays on Mon & Tues to gather supplies for Wednesday's YW activity, I went out every single night this week. Oh, except Tuesday night--when I gulped a sleeping pill to escape from reality. But really, that is too many nights away from home and away from the kids' nighttime routine. I like to be home at bedtime and facilitate a structured bedtime; I feel like this is really important at this stage in my children's young lives. Not only that, but it's important for them to have me there--snuggling on the couch reading books, having a minute or two of scripture time, tucking them in, smooching them goodnight, etc. Busy weeks like this make me want to slow down next week.
I say that every single week and it never happens. Sigh.
***Added later, in response to crazymama's comment (accompanied by evil cackle):

22 comments:
Busy week. I'm glad you survived.
k lady! hugs! for you! your mom is gorgeous! and your girlie's are too darn cute. seriously! over the top FAB! for your youg womens projects. WOW!
and I've been on the depression roller coaster. that SUCKS! i feel for you. and honestly you come of functioning way better than i ever hope to even prego and depressed. so KUDOS ON THAT! HIGH FIVE! and YOU ROCK! seriously. you are RAD! and everyone has a day or year that isn't the best ever, and the important part is keep trying. take a day (or night off when you need one) and let mama come help when she will. yay for that. and remember NO GUILT ON A NIGHT OUT FOR YOU! or even 5. since um yeah 3 were wasted in the pursuit of church calling necessity. and one was VT-ing. so truly the only one that counts was with your friend's for Wendi's b-day. so fun that MIMI is a star in training. a dancing musical acting STAR! so CUTE!
HUGS! have a fab week.
and I'm not retarded. i just can't type. so i meant YOUNG womens. and you come OFF way better than me. who shuts down for months on end. totaling the whole pregnancy and roughly a year or two later. not kidding at all. I've been there. and there are antidepressants safe for pregnancy.OH yes! I've done that too. NO JUDGING! yup grand sounding week otherwise. and now you have me wanting to hit Cafe Rio for salad. AND Google that song. I'm surprised you didn't post a you tube video of it.
Wow, you wore me out just reading your week. Your mom looks so beautiful!!
You amaze me. This week was overwhelming for me and I didn't even do half of what you did. And I so feel you on sometimes needing to sleep some of the yucks off. I'm glad you were able to do it.
Can I be a YW in your ward? Please? That activity sounds fabulous!!
And finally, CRAP!!! I had the song in my head just with you typing it, and then I hit PLAY! GO GO GO JOSEPH is stuck for a week minimum!!!
your mom is beautiful.
So sweet your gils didn't want her to go.
I'm right there with you! It must be a "thirties" slump. You do amaze me though with your schedule and humor. I was in young womens for the bulk of the last 10 years and it is a lot of work/energy. I almost felt guilty that I was relieved to be released. I got a good 24 hours of that feeling when they called me to the primary presidency! I didn't think any calling could be as busy as YW...I was wrong. Those girls sure are blessed to have you as their leader.
I love "Joseph" but I'm going to save my sanity for the day and not play the youtube! I'm kinda wishing right now that I was the "BFF" Kara! Perhaps after blogapalooza! Have a great week and give yourself some cred for doing all you do even when you don't feel so hot!
You seriously need a break!
I just had a Joseph moment last night ... watching the Osmonds on PBS last night I remembered how my mom took me to see Donny perform as Joseph like 10 years ago. Oh how my mom swooned and I thought, "Gross, he's like 40."
Go, go, go, Joseph!
After reading through your past agenda and schedules, I think it may be time to hire a young intern / personal assistant.
what a week...it is soo nice to have mum around I loved the picture...oh sooo sad, when goodbyes have to come...Your week was busy girl!
Wow, I'm with Cecily I was completely overwhelmed with last week & it wasn't even 1/2 as busy as yours!!
Good job with your YW calling, how fun! I bet the girls LOVE you!!
I hear ya on the sleeping pill & going to sleep, I'm the SAME way!! If you need to chat give me a call!!
Whoa, reading this made me tired! I love the picture of the girls and grandma! That picture speaks for itself, they love their grandma!!
Sounds like a FUN kind of busy week. I love having mom around. You were very lucky for a few days.
YW is super busy, no doubt. I was first couns. too up until six months ago. I miss it. Craziness and all.
Guess I wasn't the only busy one. Let's see- the Giada sighting:
wearing all black, very tight (and yes cleavage bearing) outfit. Showed off her cute bump. Holding hands with her hubby. Lots of big people around her (assuming bodyguard type people). She looked short. And like she's getting bigger (the sort of puffy face, 'I'm preggers' look). Cute. Smiley. Exactly what she looks like on tv, only pregnant.
See what happens when you're in LA? I tried to convince you to come down before the lima bean makes his appearance. But NOOOOO! Bummer. And now you'll be grounded for months. :(
P.s. Hair down. Looked good. Looked friendly. And her head seemed normal size.
I think that covers your q's.
I love little day to day insights into blog friends like that.
Isn't it CRAZY when you look back and weeks like that? And realize that you never just got to relax at home (without chemical help, that is.)
Sorry your mom left...that's ALWAYS the biggest bummer.
♥ You're AMAZING!!! That is one busy week! I think I'd go crazy! So good job you!!! :)
You did have a busy week!!! I loved hearing all about it. I agree with you, I am always asking myself why I can't remember my camera!?
Holy cow, you had a WEEK! Seriously, I am exhausted just READING it, I didn't even live it. See, THIS is why I sneak the bottle sips. Busy, crazy, life of a mom. Hope this week is a little calmer for you!
Busy week! Crazy song/production -- like the 70's meet the ancient world!
After 3 nights of Brigadoon, I've got one of Meg's songs stuck - of course, I only know one line, so it's lovely over and over again.
Lately I'm the queen of simplicity (maybe it's lazy), I WANT to do over the top, but I force myself to shut-up and KISS (keep it simple stupid). I just know I'd been in the looney bin if I tried to do it all.
Isn't it comforting to know how gorgeous you will still be in 20 years! What a relief.
GET THAT SONG OUTTA MY HEAD ALREADY! (and the rest of them...)
Hey, I'm just happy you came to the play on such a busy week! And did you notice how excited the girls were to see you? They about bowled you over! Hmmmm.... are we a little Crystal-deprived around here?? I know I AM!!!
Time for a girly-get-together.
And, that pic of your girls with Grannie is so perfect. That's the 1000 word picture!
I should tell you, the kids in the play were VERY flattered by Mimi's attention. They were re-telling stories of her reactions on Sat. night's cast call.
TAKE A NAP would ya?
Post a Comment