Unstoppable Me.







Friday, December 7, 2007

Visions of Sugarplums

It's important to me this year to focus on the festive Christmas activities I love so much. To me, the joys of Christmas are centered around doing cozy things with my family. It seems in recent years I've over-committed myself throughout December and never quite get to the "doing" of Christmas, at least in the way that I want to, with my kids. So this year I've minimized everything and made a list of projects and activities so that the time won't get away from me. Here is what we've done this week, so I can remember & look back:

Mon 3rd - Christmas FHE: made gingerbread cookies, played nativity matching game & read Christmas books
Tues 4th - Frosted gingerbread girls & boys
Wed 5th - watched "Frosty the Snowman" & "Twas the Night Before Christmas"
Thurs 6th - gumdrop trees, watched "One Silent Night"
Fri 7th - Ward party

Here are the gumdrop trees we made last night. I am so excited that they turned out so cute!
I helped Mimi with hers because it's tricky for a little kid to avoid puncturing herself with the toothpicks. *(please note Mike's participation level in the background...zzzzzz...)
He did eventually get up and help Isabelle-the-reluctant-tree-maker.
Mimi had a lot of fun helping me do the smaller tree. I was on toothpick duty and she lined up the gumdrops she wanted me to use.

Here's how you do it: Start with a styrofoam cone, found in the craft store's floral section. Stick the toothpick into the cone, then the gumdrop onto the toothpick. You'll need to break each toothpick into thirds when working at the top; if you use an entire toothpick, it'll go through the other side, but still be too long to stick another gumdrop onto. Pictured below is my 1/3 of a toothpick, for you visual learners.

STEP 1) Break toothpick into thirds.

STEP 2) Poke toothpick into tree.
STEP 3) Poke gumdrop onto toothpick, being careful where you put your fingers! Hold fingers on either side of gumdrop, DO NOT push it from the top! You'll poke that toothpick right into your finger. The goal is to avoid puncture wounds.
Max was very fastidious about his tree. He wanted no blank spaces between gumdrops and spent a long time on his project. I've noticed he is a very tenacious project-doer; it bothers him to leave an art project unfinished. He keeps going like the Energizer Bunny until whatever he is working on is finished. He has always been a rather enthusiastic crafter. I have funny memories of him diving into my scotch tape and construction paper when he was just a 3, 4, and 5 year old, frantically making some wacky creation--almost compulsively driven to sculpt with tape. His artistic streak continues to this day, just in a bigger-boy way. (I'll have to feature some of the sketches of his inventions at a later date.)

Anyway, this is his completed tree.


Here is my smaller tree.And here is my tree, posing by something beautiful. This is a hint of what we're doing tomorrow...

Can anyone guess what tomorrow's project is going to be?....

22 comments:

Amanda :-) said...

They're phantasmagorical! (I've been watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang today...)

My husband and I made 'adult' versions of this years ago with a bizillion hazelnuts, all glued onto a foam cone, and then touched up here and there with gold paint. This looks SO MUCH EASIER! And so cheery.

Overcommitting during December is something I'm guilty of this year. We try to be everything to everyone, don't we?

Hmmm...what will you be doing with those red and green doofers?? Making reindeer food?

Oh, and SWANKY nails! French manicures are the best (if my memory serves me...!)

oda41143 Missy said...

You are such a wonderful mother!!! I remember making gum drop trees as a kid and I'm going to go and get the stuff to make them with my kiddos tomorrow. thanks for the idea.

erin said...

Where do you get all your energy? I am getting tired just thinking about all of that. Oh yeah, and can my kids come hang out at your house? Seriously-you are supermom!

AutoSysGene said...

Nice trees, I think I'll try that with Hope this weekend.
I'm thinking maybe cookies tomorrow? Can't wait to see what's next!

Crazymamaof6 said...

those are muy fabulouso! i think even i could manage that craft. and not be a screaming meany by the end.darn fabulous! you are so fun! and way to go making your list of fun cozy holiday crafts. movies and traditions. you are the holiday guru!
I'm guessing sugar cookies with sprinkles on top?! can't wait to see that!

Laurie said...

So cute! I love step-by-step instructions. I'm glad you posted your week's activities. I'm going to find One Silent Night right now.

Steph said...

Sugar Cookies?
You are such a great mom! I need to prioritize and make a list! That way it would all get done...the cozyness...
I want cozy.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

You are such an awesome Mom! We haven't done any kinds of Christmas crafts or baking yet. I guess I'd better get on the ball!

smithfam said...

So fun! That gumdrop tree brought back memories of doing those when I was little. Good times.

I love the picture with your husband. He looks absolutely thrilled. LOL

Sounds like such fun times at your house. I am trying to get in the spirit, but the fighting and arguing knock that festive feeling right out the door!

Matchbox Mom said...

sooo fun! I am not as good as you! Plus your nails are GORGEOUS!

That's a really fun idea...love it! You really are too cute for your own good...Mike is one lucky guy. Sleeping is what Steven basically did the whole time we put up the tree...grrrr...

Love ya, girl! have a good weekend!

Tam

kay said...

i'm on my way to the craft store!!!

so cute and my kids will love this!

but where can you get gumdrops?

Christine said...

I'm speechless - those are so cute! You can bet I am heading to the store today to make these trees with my kids. Too bad we don't live closer so both our "excited" husbands can be crafty together! Hang in there Mike - only a couple more weeks!

Love your photographs too.

For tomorrow - I think you are making those edible wreaths. I remember them from a long time ago - were they made out of rice krispees. I don't think so but something along those lines. Am I right?

kay said...

thanks!!!

michelle said...

It looks like your doing some wonderful things this month. I am loving the gumball trees! I may have to give this one a try with the kiddos! :)

Laura said...

How fun is that! you are a crafty little lady! We'll have to try that!

Jessica said...

Crystal! You are married to my best-friends-in-8th-grade's brother!! Amy and I were best friends during the two years I lived in Pleasanton...I hope she's the Amy on your link, because I'm going to check her out (we sometimes exchange Christmas cars, but I want to hear more!) My maiden name was Sherrill...which Mike probably doesn't remember because he was so much older and cooler than us. How fun!

AMY said...

Cutest trees ever! You've heard it 1000 times here so far but you are a great mom! I haven't done anything fun with my kids. No baking or projects or nuttin'. I felt pretty good about buying them Mickey's Christmas Carol this year! (Yikes) Time to step it up before they go to a friend's house with a mom like you and realize what a putz I am!

lindsey said...

These are amazing! I read one of the comments above, you are super-mom.

SuperCoolMom said...

So cute and fun!!! More power to you!

The Webbs said...

You are so creative, how cute! Looks like you guys had fun in the snow too. I love the snow, but the freezing cold that follows is not my favorite.

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

oh Crystal....these are darling!!!! I want to make them right now!! I wonder if Michaels is still open? I wonder if my tired body has enough energy to go to Michaels? Maybe tomorrow.....

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I love your craftines! Cute trees, and I'd love to see some of your son's art work!

Related Posts with Thumbnails